Saturday 15 September 2012

Excursion Reflections

Introduction
Proof that I was there
The place I went to for the field trip is the botanic gardens. There, I saw far far more trees than flowers, however, this time I am going to focus more on the flowers as I failed to observe anything on the trees that I could relate to a science concept.
Well to begin with, as I was observing a strange flower, I noticed a bee flying around and going to each of them and making a weird noise as it made contact with the flowers. I thought it strange at first but upon closer look I realized that it was actually the process of pollination. Every time the bee got near the flower, there was a “click” sound and I watched with interest until the bee left.
This got me thinking about the process of pollination and a few questions came into my mind. Firstly, we all learnt how bees pollinate flowers in primary school but what I want to know is why exactly they would want to help flowers reproduce. Secondly, I wanted to know whether the insects were attracted by the flowers or anything with nectar would do, including hands. Finally I wanted to know how many flowers reproduce by pollination and maybe know a few of the more common ones.
Why do bees pollinate flowers?
To begin with, the bees are not even aware that they are helping the plants in their process of pollination and reproduction. The bees were simply attracted to the nectar that was full of sugar and was the bees’ main source of energy. Also, they were attracted to the pollen which provided them with the fats. The pollen sticks onto the bees’ legs when they are on the flower and slides off the bees’ legs while the bee is on another flower and hence, pollination occurs. The bees collect nectar in order to take it back to their nest where worker bees turn it into honey. This honey is then placed into honeycombs and sealed with wax so it can be eaten later. This is what the bees stand to benefit from helping the plants pollinate.
Are the insects solely attracted to the flowers or anything with nectar can attract insects?
Well, I did this experiment by rubbing my hands in nectar and placing it close to a butterfly in the botanic gardens and it did work, the butterfly was resting comfortably on my finger. However, when I tried to take a picture the butterfly flew away. I did not try it on bees and wasps because I thought it was dangerous. Therefore, anything with nectar can attract insects.
How many flowers reproduce by pollination?
About 80% of the flowers in the world reproduce by pollination.

No comments:

Post a Comment